My book is Reverse Engineering Social Media: Software, Culture, and Political Economy in New Media Capitalism. Temple University Press.
Articles are listed below. The article links will take you to the publication's site. If you do not have access to these journals, click here for unofficial versions.
You can also see my Google Scholar profile for citation information.
Articles marked (OA) are free and open access.
Finally, if you need copies of these articles, feel free to contact me.
- (OA) Gehl, R.W., 2014. "Power/Freedom on the Dark Web: A Digital Ethnography of the Dark Web Social Network." New Media and Society.
- Gehl, R.W., 2014. "Power from the C-Suite: The Chief Knowledge Officer and Chief Learning Officer as Agents of Noopower." Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 11(2): 175-194.
- Gehl, R.W., 2014. "Teaching to the Turing Test with Cleverbot." Transformations, 24(1-2). 56-66.
- King, Andy, Robert W. Gehl, Doug Grossman, and Jacob D. Jensen, 2013. "Skin self-examinations and visual identification of atypical nevi: Comparing individual and crowdsourcing approaches." Cancer Epidemiology.
- (OA) Gehl, R.W. 2013. "Server Farms: Disciplined Machines Behind Noopower. Media Fields, 6.
- (OA) Gehl, R.W., 2013. "What's on Your Mind? Social Media and Noopower." First Monday, 18(3/4).
- (OA) Gehl, R.W., 2013. "'Why I Left Facebook': Stubbornly Refusing to Not Exist Even After Opting Out of Mark Zuckerberg's Social Graph." In The Unlike Us Reader: Understanding Social Media Monopolies and Their Alternatives. Institute for Network Cultures, Amsterdam, pp. 220-238.
- (OA) Gehl, R.W. & Bell, Sarah A., 2012. "Heterogeneous Software Engineering: Garmisch 1968, Microsoft Vista, and a Methodology for Software Studies." Computational Culture (2).
- (OA) Gehl, R.W., 2012. "Real (software) abstractions: on the rise of Facebook and the fall of Myspace." Social Text, 30(2 111), pp 99-119.
- (OA) Gehl, R.W., 2012. "Distributed Centralization: Web 2.0 as a portal into users' lives." Lateral: The Journal of the Cultural Studies Association.
- Gehl, R.W. & Gibson, T.A., 2012. Building a Blog Cabin during a Financial Crisis: Circuits of Struggle in the Digital Enclosure. Television & New Media, 13(1), pp.48-67.
- Gehl, R.W., 2011. The archive and the processor: the internal logic of Web 2.0. New Media & Society.
- (OA) Gehl, R.W., 2011. Ladders, samurai, and blue collars: Personal branding in Web 2.0. First Monday, 16(9-5).
- Watts, V. & Gehl, R.W. eds., 2010. The Politics of Cultural Programming in Public Spaces, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Gehl, R.W., 2009. YouTube as archive: who will curate this digital Wunderkammer? International Journal of Cultural Studies, 12(1), pp.43 - 60.